About Jane Canfield
"As I write, I am looking out the window of my 1850’s Sandstone Inn, West of the Blue Mountains. It’s a view that must have changed a lot since those early days of Cobb & Co coaches and candlelight, but a constant is a rolling hillside with changing light, rain, and the seasons playing across the valley. As artist Margaret Olley said ‘It’s all about the Light’ .
I hope my work reveals my love of life and tranquility that I often feel either at home in the studio, or if I am travelling, finding inspiration in the landscape in my 1974 VW Kombi ‘Dot’ with my little dogs.
I constantly strive for reduction and simplification in my work, not reproducing exactly what I see, but my version of it, but I do need to have ‘seen’ it to be inspired. These days I am layering my work more and using rags to rub back… using a reduced colour palette."
Jane Canfield was born in New Zealand (Christchurch) in 1967 and grew up in an artistic family, with her father (Tony Canfield) a collected artist, inventor, motor mechanic and designer. Every weekend they would go camping and her Dad would be sketching and painting. This love of working in nature has followed her to this day… and her love of classic cars…
Jane was accepted at an early age to Graphic Design College (Randwick TAFE, Sydney 1984) and spent 20 years working in the industry, but always drew and painted, encouraged by family. She first came to notice for her strong lino cut prints but it was not until her Dad passed away in 2004 that she decided to become a full time artist.
– Selected EXHIBITIONS
– 2019 group Exhibition, ‘Girt by Sea’, Rochfort Gallery, North Sydney,
– 2018 finalist Korea-Australia Arts Foundation Art Prize.
– 2018 finalist, NSW Parliament Plein Air Art Prize.
– 2018 solo exhibition, Still Life, Interiors and Landscape, Rex-Livingston Art + Objects, Katoomba.
– 2018 Here/Now Exhibition, Orange Regional Gallery, Orange NSW.
– 2018 finalist, Calleen Art Award, Cowra Regional Gallery, NSW.
– 2017 finalist NSW Parliament Plein Air Art Prize, Sydney.
– 2017 solo exhibition 'All Over the Place,' Rex-Livingston Art + Objects.
– 2017 finalist Calleen Art Award, Cowra Regional Gallery.
– 2017 group exhibition ‘Crack Fox & Friends,’ Rex-Livingston Art + Objects.
– 2016 solo exhibition ‘Victa’s Paddock’ Rex-livingston Art + Objects.
– 2016 group exhibition ‘Looking at Landscape #2,’ Rex-Livingston Art + Objects.
– 2016 winner Blackheath Art Prize, Members Exhibition.
– 2016 finalist, Calleen Art Award, Cowra Regional Gallery.
– 2015 Salon de Refuses, NSW Parliament Plein Air Art Prize.
– 2014 Kedumba Drawing Award (acquired.) Judge: Ann Cape.
– 2014 finalist, Paddington Art Prize.
– 2014 finalist, Norvill Art Prize
– 2014 finalist, Calleen Art Award, Cowra Regional Art Gallery.
– 2013 feature artist, Gallery Blackheath.
– 2013 solo exhibition, Leura Studio.
– 2013 finalist, Central West Regional Art Awards, Cowra Regional Art Gallery.
– 2012 finalist, Norvill Art Prize.
– 2012 Art For Art’s Sake, Art Fair, Sydney.
– 2010 finalist, Paddington Art Prize, Sydney.
– 2010 finalist, Calleen Art Award, Cowra Regional Art Gallery.
– 2010 solo exhibition, Hat Hill Gallery, Blackheath NSW.
– 2010 solo exhibition, Global Gallery, Sydney NSW.
– 2009 solo exhibition, Leura.
– 2009 finalist Mosman Art Prize, Mosman NSW. (Selected by M. Olley ).
– 2009 finalist, Calleen Art Award, Cowra Regional Art Gallery.
– 2008 solo exhibition, Coast Gallery, Milton.
– 2008 solo exhibition, Leura.
– 2008 Sublime Elevations, group exhibition, Sydney Olympic Park.
– 2008 Sydney Art Fair, Moore Park, Sydney.
– 2008 finalist, Calleen Art Award, Cowra Regional Art Gallery.
– 2008 BMAN Crockett Prize - Contemporary, acquisitive.
– 2008 finalist, Waverley Art Prize, Bondi.
– 2007 finalist, Calleen Art Award, Cowra Regional Art Gallery.
– 2007 group exhibition, Shapiro Galleries, Sydney.
– 2007 solo exhibition, Seeger Gallery, Leura.
– 2006 solo exhibition, The Little Gallery, Katoomba.
– 2006 finalist, Calleen Art Award, Cowra Regional Art Gallery.
– 2006 solo exhibition, Norman Lindsay Gallery, Faulconbridge.
– 2005 group exhibition Sydney Town Art Gallery, Redfern, Sydney.
– 2004 solo exhibition, Katoomba
– 2016 Winner Blackheath Art Society Members Exhibition
– 2014 Acquired into the Kedumba Drawing Award
– 2014, 2015 selected workshop artist, NSW Parliament Plein Air Prize, Sydney.
– 2010 Winner Springwood Art Exhibition, Rose Lindsay Art Award.
– Cittaslow (Katoomba) gift to Cittaslow (Italy).
– 2008 winner BMAN Crockett Prize – Contemporary, acquisitive.
– 2008 highly commended, Winmalee Art Fest.
– 2007 highly commended, Winmalee Art Fest.
– 2006 finalist, ‘Signature of Sydney’ Art Prize.
– Penrith City Council Sister City Collection.
– 2005 merit award. Calleen Art Award, Cowra Regional Art Gallery.
– 1987 Blue Mountains City Flag Design Winner.
– 1992 print media award winner, North Queensland Tourism Awards.
– 2018 front Cover and editorial, Jane Canfield - 'Lidsdale Artist’, Discover Central West magazine.
– 2016 front Cover image and editorial page 2, Discover Blue Mountains Magazine, September issue.
– 2016 feature mini documentary ‘Leura Breathe - ‘Painter’, Leura Village Association.
– 2014 Feature story, Australian Country Style Magazine.
– Released 2013 ‘Arnie the Artist’s Muse. A True Doggie Tail’, art book.
– 2013 artwork featured in Vogue Living Australia.
– 2013 Sydney Weekender, Channel 7.
– 2013 artwork featured in Australian House & Garden Magazine.
– 2013 Feature story, Australian Country Style Magazine.
– 2012/13 Australian Art Collector ‘50 Things a Collector Needs to Know’ edition.
– 2012 feature Blue Mountains Life Magazine.
– 2012 /2013 Local Heroes coffee table book by Melissa Mylchreest and Meryl Butterworth.
– 2012 Feature story/Front Cover McGrath Magazine.
– 2011 Feature/Front Cover Blue Mountains Wonderland Magazine.